Welcome to mod.io Unity Plugin, a platform for developers to add mod support to their games. It connects to the mod.io API and controls the browsing, downloading and installation of mod files in game. We recommend you grab the latest official version from the Unity Asset Store.
Getting mods installing with mod.io takes minutes:
- Download the Unity package and import it into your project
- Drop the _ModBrowser prefab into your menu scene, or adapt the ExampleScene for your purposes
- Set up your game on mod.io (or our private test environment) to get your game ID and API key
- Input your ID and API key by selecting "Plugin Settings" on the ModBrowser component inspector, or under the mod.io/Edit Settings menu item
- In your code, make a call to ModManager.GetInstalledModDirectories() to get a list of mod data your player has installed (read our wiki for detailed instructions)
- Setup complete!
- Ready to launch? Add your game to our production environment then let's discuss promoting your release
- Need help? Our team is available on Discord to assist and our getting started guide has more information for you
- Platform agnostic (support 1 click mod installs on Steam, Epic Games Store, Discord, GOG, itch.io and even consoles in the future)
- Clientless (it has no other dependencies and works behind the scenes in your game)
- Powerful search, filtering and tagging of mods
- C# interface built on the Unity Engine for connecting to the mod.io API
- Players can activate / deactivate mods they are subscribed to
- Customizable mod browsing UI
Benefits of using mod.io
mod.io offers the same core functionality as Steamworks Workshop (1 click mod installs in-game), plus mod hosting, moderation and all of the critical pieces needed. Where we differ is our approach to modding and the flexibility a REST API offers. For example:
- Our API is not dependent on a client or SDK, allowing you to run mod.io in many places such as your homepage and launchers
- Designing a good mod browsing UI is hard, our plugin ships with a UI built in to save you a lot of effort and help your mods stand out
- We don’t apply rules globally, so if you want to enable patronage, sales or other experimental features, reach out to discuss
- Our platform is built by the super experienced ModDB.com team and is continually improving for your benefit
- Your community can consume the mod.io API to build modding fan sites or discord bots if they want
- Communicate and interact with your players, using our built-in emailer
Large studios and publishers
A private white label option is available to license, if you want a fully featured mod-platform that you can control and host in-house. Contact us to discuss.
Our Unity plugin has officially launched in the Unity Asset Store, is open source with the latest in-development version hosted on GitHub. Game developers are welcome to utilize it directly, to add support for mods in their games, or fork it for their games customized use. Want to make changes to our plugin? Submit a pull request with your recommended changes to be reviewed.
Our aim with mod.io, is to provide an open modding API. You are welcome to view, fork and contribute to our other codebases in use: